Shameless Plug Ins

Sunday, September 24, 2023

Prisms are coming back (And why they mean the world to me)

Here comes a wave of positivity (With some negative moments) detailing why I'm so excited for the return of Prisms, why I'm also still a bit hesitant and most importantly, why I love Prisms as much as I do to the point of it pushing me to write a blog post about it. 



During the recent Bushi product stream, we got confirmation that Prisms are coming to Standard. This is (Along with Pacifica) the first encounter(s) for Lyrical, and while I really wanted to see Coral, It really took half a day for me to come to terms with not only Coral not being there, but that one of my most requested units since V began is finally returning. The one archetype that meant the entire world to me back during a time in my life that I sometimes wish I could return too, but also don't miss in the slightest. 

I'm not going to say some arbitrary reason like "My avatar" as to why this archetype means something to me, because its nowhere near that corny. The deck itself was the 2nd, or 3rd deck I had ever built in this game, back in the old days of 2014, and while Duo's were -the- deck for me at the time (They were also insanely strong), I still enjoyed the Prism build I had. Once Academy of Divas dropped, everything flipped. I was a HUGE Bermuda fan at the time, to the point where I had sold every other non BT deck owned, just to collect and play all the BT decks possible....but there was a slight issue with that. Even when I owned them all, all I played was Harmony, Duo's and at the top of the hours played, Prisms. 

The deck was mesmerizing, addicting, offered dozens upon dozens of line's of play and that kept me playing them as my main deck from 2015-2018 (When Ange came out). There were times I was so addicted to playing them for upcoming tourney's, I had to pull myself away and tell myself to play something else so I wouldn't feel the pressure of needing to constantly playtest as much as I did. The attention to perfection was just something I didn't have time to fully commit too.

Its an understatement to say how wildly known I was to friends and acquaintances when it came to this archetype. It even allowed me to meet new people I might've never met if I wasn't so religious about playing this deck (Because no other deck had me addicted to actually play IRL). On the topic of certain people, while I haven't spoken to him in years, there was one person I got to know because of this deck and we would talk about it and strategies for hours on end. Here you can check out his more extensive blog about the deck and see how Prisms used to play back in G era. 



Onto the negative side. There's a big reason why I'm not fully, 100% convinced or on-board with this yet. V. 

Back a few years in 2020, I was in the same position as I am right now. Twinkle Melody was announced, and Prisms were confirmed. Although, it was the Image-team (Vert, Rosa, Clear). While I always liked them, they never had the charm or stature that the Promise Trio did. So while it was ignorable, it was still questionable. 

It was a few years of V already, I got back into the game earlier in the year because of Covid and there was not much else to do. I was already a GB main at that point, but still wanted to love Bermuda as I used too. Vert was supposed to be that gateway for me, a way and avenue for me to love them again....but I forgot one important thing.....this was V era. 

Suffice to say, when Vert was shown, I hated it. I hated it with a passion. Just like V loved to do, it took an archetype or boss unit I liked and thoroughly thrashed it into the mud and kicked it while it was down. Regardless of how strong it was, it was not the Prisms I loved and it didn't even feel anything close to it other than just a few bounce skills. 


As we move to today and the reveal of the Promise Trio next week. I want to hope that Bushi understands what Prisms are. It doesn't need to have word-for-word text as G Prisms (God knows we're not lucky enough for that), but I want them to be treated well this time. Don't "V Maelstrom" this shit again. Just pay homage to the originals, something that I feel will finally happen as D encounters have more respect for there source than V retrains -ever- did. 

So with that, I got everything I wanted to say. I'm really crossing my fingers this time. Give me a reason to love D outside of Thegrea, because there are so many issues with D, and my type of Prisms won't solve any of them, but fuck it if it won't make playing Vanguard more fun for me personally, and that counts for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment