Shameless Plug Ins

Thursday, October 26, 2023

Nostalgia Overload: Which Encounters do I want?

I've been on a big nostalgia trip recently and with the advent of Prisms, I've decided to do an ultimate compendium of the encounter units that I personally want in Standard. Just to preface this, as much as I love encounters (And I do, they've all been handled wonderfully compared to V) I do not want Standard to become the encounter format. There needs to be a fine line between the two.

Just a few rules before I begin as well. I will not include the more obscure boss units imaginable, so no demon world castle's, Galahad, Lena, Barbaros or anything from Tachikaze (The last one is a joke, put your pitch forks you two). Also, not every clan will be on this list. 

Also, I'll be keeping it at least semi-realistic with the choices (Goodbye Shizuku 😭). Lets begin.



Starting with a big one for me. While Ezel is already in standard, if Gold's ever received another encounter in the future, a true to form Bluish Flames (With possibly the legion mechanic) would be super cool. We have stride in Standard, I don't think its impossible for Bushi to implement legion as well, even for a deck or two along with everyone's favorite "EXPLOSION BLUE" (Gotta do it just once).

No other legion deck would get me as enthralled as Bluish Flames either, its also a fan favorite for Gold's outside of Ezel or Gurguit, with the only other exception being Garmore (Who I personally believe isn't as popular). 

Bonus points if we get both Aglovale's. Second best male in Vanguard (First one later on in this list) <3




Scharhrot is kind of a special case. As much as I like the unit and deck (And I do, end of G Scharhrot is my favorite iteration of DI and its not even close), I partly want it because its my wife's favorite unit in the game and would make her extremely happy. 

Perhaps this time, he'll actually play like a DI boss and not be whatever thing the V version was. His strides could be Gilles De Rais and Steeped in Sin which would be pretty damn cool. As usual, bonus points for being a stride deckset as well. 

Although, his chances of getting an encounter is so-so. Definitely a chance considering his legacy, however, he never received a TD and certainly isn't as popular as other striders, so who knows if it would happen, especially when Amon or Gastille are viable options as well (Gastille if Gyze returns to the anime and Bushi wants to coordinate with the old apostle units). 

Honestly though, Amon is probably the likeliest option. 


If Messiah wasn't already in Standard, I would've put them here instead. Messiah was one of my favorite G decks of all time (I really need to write a favorite G decks list one of these days) and I'm super happy they're back, especially after how much I disliked the V version and what that did to the Premium version of the deck. 

Anyway, I'm not even a big Chaos fan. I just want Chaos announced so I can see the chaos (Pun intended) ensue and all the crazy reactions that would happen with people instantly assuming the format will die because Chaos will be tier 0. That'll be hilarious. 

Also, I actually like fighting against Chaos back in G and V. I'm crazy, I know. 

The chance of Chaos coming back is 100%. Its not a question of if, but when. My assumption is that it'll be announced before the end of 2024. 



No, Ahsha is not on this list because of her art. Well, not solely anyway....

Before the transition NN had in V, I was actually a fan of Neo Nectar's playstyle, Ahsha especially. I still remember playing the mid-G version with the Marjukka/Rauni combo's and loving it. Even the end of G version, while a bit more streamlined than I wish, was still quite a lot of fun. 

Like usual, bonus points for being a stride deckset and her original playstyle would still be in tact which would definitely get me to buy into it (A few SP's and all). I missed my chance playing her in G, hated her V/P deck, I won't let that chance slip by again. 

The likelihood of Ahsha returning is super high. Arguably -the- most popular unit in the clan and obviously a main character deck, so the chances are near 100%, along with Altmile imo. 



Some people might find it surprising why I, someone who always (jokingly) bashes Lauris so much wants her as an encounter. Simple, there's two reasons why. Firstly, she'd be a stride deckset. Secondly, it would mean the return of Spica and Olyvia. I would also say G1 Shizuku, however, I think that portion would be unlikely (But oh so amazing).

I was a harmony player from day one, and I certainly had fun with the deck, but it wasn't until Shizuku/Ange that I really started to like the Harmony mechanic. Lauris also isn't my favorite BT unit aesthetically when there's multiple others to choose from. Even with all that though, I have fond memories of Harmony and the units surrounding it. I'd even pick up the human form SP for the rideline just because I was gifted it from a friend many years ago, but had to sell it for financial reasons. 

Unfortunately, the chance isn't as guaranteed as people think. If Lyrical receives a deckset, and I'm pretty sure they will, it will probably go to Tirua, the unit that actually had a TD in G era. No hate on Tirua or ChouChou, they're neat, but I probably wouldn't be that thrilled about it like I would for Lauris. At least its a 50/50 chance though. 


This is another unique case of me wanting them in just because Duo's were my first deck in the game. I started this game with Iori and Meer and a bit later swapped to Reit. 

The Duo playstyle really wasn't all that developed back in G era, and the support outside of Nemuel (Legion) was super subpar and basic. I won't even mention how much I disliked the V counterparts for these two. They were separate decks........

Anyway, yeah, they aren't my favorite units or anything, but actual Duo's would be cool to see again, maybe even with the whole black/white aesthetic again. It can be only Meer, or Reit (Or Iori 😭) solo and I'd be okay with that, just so long as the playstyle stays in tact this time. And please, no weird SP's for Meer this time. 

Don't think the chance is nil or anything, however, I don't think its super likely. 

The next 3 are my most wanted encounters:

 


There is no world where Coral isn't near the top of my list for wanted encounters. My wallet would be in complete shambles if we get her standard and I'll be all here for it. When she was finally good in G, I was already moving away from the game (Plus Ange/Shizuku was my only deck) and while V Coral is my second favorite deck in V, its still V, so I would take complete advantage of her returning to a lively format.

Bonus fact, I slightly favor the V playstyle over the OG/G playstyle. Its the only deck in V I'll say I prefer the V version, but for some reason, it resonated with me, so if it kept even a bit of that, I won't complain. That saying, I'm pretty sure it won't and would squarely focus on gathering Coral's in soul for a power benefit with some bouncing shenanigans and hefty draw power, which is perfectly fine as well.

The likelihood of her returning is moderately high. She's unquestionably one of the most popular Bermuda units and her ride chain can fit in perfectly into the ride deck. 

I'll throw out the guess that her and Riviere will be encounters in LM5 next fall.


My favorite boy in Vanguard! My love for Nightmist is quite high considering how much I love his aesthetic, design, playstyle and everything else in between. His deck in D could go back to what its supposed to be, a pseudo hollow playstyle that focuses on value calls rather than whatever the heck the V playstyle was. 

The stark difference back in G between Mist and Rose was the heavy focus on abusing the breakride and striding, building a board for cheap and then having that board disappear vs Rose's style of chain calling and resource returning. So there is some precedence in both coming back. 

We could even get Plegeton as a backup boss along with the CCCCCCC mainstays. My excitement would be sky-high, even if that's probably unlikely.

The chance of Mist coming back is actually moderately high. Even if the next one is much likelier, Mist is easily the second most popular boss unit in the clan (Not including V), and also isn't a stride deck, which is key. 


As if there was any surprise who'd be my most wanted encounter. A hollow focused, stride deck with an actual Granblue mechanic that isn't Zorga with the gorgeous art of Nightrose mixed with the level of interaction I yearn for in this game? Someone better get me a pen because where the hell do I sign up.

The V Rose deck if my favorite deck in V (And the first that made me actually like V's playstyle) but it doesn't even come close to scratching the itch that G Rose offered. Her in D would be world's different and that thought alone makes me anxious for her to be announced, and I have a feeling I'm far from feeling alone in that regard. 

The strides could be Mist Phantasm Pirate King Rose as the GB2 stride and Goauche as the first stride. The release order of the two is a tad bit different from the other 4 decksets (First stride came out first, GB2 stride came out afterwards in G), but I don't think Bushi should care that much with the amount of money on the table from Rose alone (I guess Harri too).

Lord knows I'd be tempted to come close to maxing this deck again if she ever comes back again xD. 

The chance is as close to 100% as one can get to being 100% without hitting 100%. I don't see a world where D/Standard ends and we don't have Nightrose. 

Although, the first stoichea deckset will probably be Thavas if I had to guess, but BOY DO I WANT TO BE WRONG SO BADLY.

And that's it. Every single one mentioned I feel has at least a small chance. I could've listed more (Brawlers, Shizuku, Metatron) but I feel like that's a waste considering those are incredibly niche with basically nil chance of happening unfortunately. 

Either way, encounters are cool, and while some may not like the nostalgia after V (Which is understandable), I'm glad the encounter units we've gotten are being treated properly this time. For as old as this card game is and as iconic as these units are, they deserve this level of treatment. 

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment