Shameless Plug Ins

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

The DivineZ era and my immediate reactions

Just as the title implies, I will be giving my immediate reactions on all the recent Vanguard news that just dropped about a few days ago.


To start with, lets briefly discuss the anime itself. It seems so-so. Nothing here screams exciting or different, but it doesn't seem awful either. Really, its the premise itself that's the most comically interesting as its literally just Fate/Vanguard. 

To be perfectly honest, if we're gonna just steal other popular anime ideas, Fate isn't necessarily a bad one to snatch, depending on how its handled of course. 

As for the characters, again, just okay. I never liked Masanori, but if he can give me an Alchemagic-less Zorga, by all means, make him a main character, I don't care lol. Taizo is okay I guess, I know some are excited with him because of Welstra support, but I just didn't jive with his character. The rest are whatever as well.

Ultimately, the premise alone might keep me interested, but with the anime still having the same cour schedule, I doubt many of the issues Overdress had will be rectified. 


As for the designs of the "Fated" six, they're incredible, especially the Lyrical unit and Zorga. Zorga looks absolutely incredible on so many fronts and the Lyrical unit is -exactly- the type of design I want to see more of in Lyrical. No more of this school-girl crap please. I don't want to sound harsh to the fans of that style, but I would -much- prefer to see something more fantastical with its own flair and uniqueness rather than school girl wearing a school uniform #34. 

New Welstra also looks cool and seeing the reaction he got was wholesome. Almost makes me want to give the deck a shot just from this art alone. The only one I'm so-so on is the Keter one. It just seems so basic compared to everyone else here, but not necessarily bad. It just shows how extra everyone else's designs are.


As for for DZ set 1 and 2, as I assumed since the start deck reveal, Lyrical will be apart of main sets. This is a fantastic course of action and something that was needed since the beginning of Overdress almost three years ago. Now Lyrical actually feels like a real nation and not some side thing that doesn't deserve the same level of attention as the other 5. 


Good. Fuck Myrtoa. Die


Moving onto the biggest two news drops of the entire product stream. The rule changes and mechanic addition. 

First rule change is the winner of rock/paper/scissors (Or dice for more casual matches) chooses who goes first/second rather than being stuck going first. Cool change. The next change with deck size is the big one though.

While there is the unfortunate issue of deck prices increasing due to the addition of 4 extra main deck cards, the benefits heavily outweighs the negatives.
  • Deckout becomes less of a prevalent issue
  • Trigger sacking, while feeling slightly worse due to the chance of happening dropping, is mitigated which is something that was extremely needed in D. 
  • More combo's and interactions that players need to be aware of, which increases the complexity of the game.
  • More chances of decks not feeling identical throughout as you now have more room to experiment through deck building. 
For my own decks, this change does wonders and I cannot wait for it to be implemented. That saying, if these two were the only changes going into a new era, I would've been disappointed. 


This. This is something I didn't know I wanted until I saw it. Before this product stream, the number one thing I wanted was an extra deck mechanic that actually had substance, was usable by -all- decks and wasn't static (Static as in something like tokens or V/Dragon Tree markers). 

While this isn't the stride-like mechanic for D I wanted, its still a fantastic substitute on paper and offers more complexity in terms of keeping track of your resources, planning ahead and knowing when to use this resource. 

At the moment, all we have is this one card that EC3 per turn and EB7 to draw, but obviously we'll be getting alternate ones that EC in different ways while EB for different benefits. With the limitation of only being able to run 1 (I definitely believe a future boss unit will circumvent this somehow), it will actually matter which one you choose, how you deck build with that chosen one in mind and how you use that resource during the game. 

There's so many possibilities and I actually feel Bushi will fulfill -some- of those possibilities at least. So color me excited for this. 

And that's all for me. Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment